Copyright © 2010, Verina Henchy . All rights reserved
Clinical Trials & Evidence
Help and First Aid
I encourage all my patients to learn some home prescribing for themselves and their family. This way, you are able to treat minor ailments yourself and you are less likely to reach for the pharmacy shelf to ‘suppress' the symptoms. I am always there at the end of a phone if your chosen remedy doesn't work and/or you need extra advice.
As with orthodox medicine there are many remedies that you can use on a first aid / self help basis to treat accidents and injuries i.e. shock, bruising, sprains, strains as well as coughs, colds, flu, sore throats, childhood and acute infections i.e. diarrhoea and vomiting.
IMPORTANT: For all babies and potential emergency cases, if there is no improvement within 1 hour, or if you have any concerns, seek advice from your local A&E or consult a qualified health practitioner immediately.
Acute conditions are those that are classified as being of short duration and will resolve fairly quickly. If you have a chronic i.e. long lasting complaint or an acute condition which does not resolve within a given time you should seek professional help from either a qualified homeopathic or medical practitioner.
Home remedy kits are available from me for £40.00 (discount price) or can be purchased direct from the suppliers: Ainsworth
Note: without specialist homeopathic training, you are only encouraged to treat mild acute conditions e.g. sore throats, fevers etc. If in doubt, or for chronic or recurring conditions, please see your qualified homeopath or health practitioner.
When choosing a first aid remedy, think along the lines of the 'three legged stool'.
Match three clear symptoms that the patient is displaying with at least three symptoms
from the remedy picture in your therapeutic book or self-
Remember that if one of the symptoms is an emotional symptom then the remedy is more likely to help.
- Observe the patient and make a note of the following:
• What he/she looks like when ill (e.g., flushed/pale face, dilated pupils, drooping eyelids, motionless, etc).
• The main complaint, e.g. sore throat;
• The location e.g. left or right side;
• The aetiology (if there is one) e.g., an argument at work;
• The modalities e.g., does the patient feel better when lying down/sitting up; with hot/cold drinks and;
• The sensations e.g. "stabbing pains/burning pains" etc.
You will need all of this information to select a matching remedy. Have this list
with you to compare with remedy descriptions in your therapeutic book (or to input
on the self-
- Select the remedy that matches at least three clear symptoms;
- Administer the remedy;
- Observe the reaction;
- Select a new remedy, if required; or if no improvement, call your professional homeopath or visit your qualified health professional.
In acute conditions, give one dose of 6c or 30c every hour until better, up to a maximum of 6 doses. Give 30c for intense pain or fever and use the lower potencies for less intense or localised conditions. For very intense pain, you may repeat the remedies in 10 minute intervals, up to 6 doses.
Stop giving the remedies as soon as you see an improvement: the body will take over from here.
From Entertainment Weekly (2-
Say hello to Arnica, Catherine Zeta-
Jones' best friend from the set of musical Chicago.
The pal isn't a she. It's a homeopathic herbal remedy, and the two got to know each
other intimately during the hamstring- hampering shoot. 'The pain wasn't there when
I was doing it (applying Arnica).. I had that sticky stuff glued to me for months.
Brings out the bruising, darling.'
Selecting the remedy using home therapeutic books
Recommended therapeutic books:
- Everybody's guide to homeopathic medicines by Stephen Cummings M.D., and Dana Ullmann M.P.H.(1997).
- The Complete Family Guide -
Homeopathy: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Safe and Effective Remediesby Christopher Hammond (1995)
- The practical handbook of homeopathy: the how, when, why & which of home prescribing by Colin Griffith MCH, RSHom (2006)
- The family guide to homeopathy; the safe form of medicine for the future by Dr Andrew Lockie (1989)
All of these books are available from www.amazon.co.uk. NB. Remedy kits have their own therapeutic books included.
Selecting a remedy using web help